How Do YOU Pronounce Buena Vista?
While Coloradans don’t have an accent to speak of, we sure have our set ways of pronouncing certain things. It trips up out-of-towners and freshly-minted new Coloradans all the time.
This goes waaaaay deeper than any of the bar top arguments you can get into over Denver street names. Once you strike out across the Centennial State, simple spats over how you say Acoma, Galapago or Zuni will almost seem quaint.
- Arriba (AIR-i-buh) - not ar-REE-buh
- Arvada (Ahr-vad-ah) - Honestly, we’re still fighting this one out. Ahr-vay-da, Ahr-vad-ah. To-may-to, to-mah-to
- Berthoud (BURR-thud) - Hello. I'm in Berthoud.
- Buena Vista (BYOO-nuh Vista) - The one-time head lettuce capital of the United States pronounces it as a play on beautiful, rather than the proper Spanish.
- Bowie (BAO-ee) - Bowie was once named Wauneta, which was a pretty swank name.
- Cañon City (CAN-yun City) - Quick show of hands, who knew that the city's nickname is "Climate Capital of Colorado"?
- Dacono (Da-koh-no) - It’s a portmanteau. Seriously.
- De Beque (De Beck) - There are only seven retail marijuana stores in Mesa County and four of them are in De Beque.
- Del Norte (Del NORT) - The e is dropped. Not sure where we lost it.
- Fruita (FROOT-uh) - I have been informed there are people who say FROO-ee-tah. For shame.
- Limon (LIME-on) - Like the magical ingredient in Sprite
- Lochbuie (Lock-BOO-ee) - This is just FUN to say
- Louisville (Lewis-ville) - Sorry, Kentucky.
- Lyons (Lions) - True story, I once heard an NPR newscaster pronounce the name of the town like it was located in the east of France (Lee-own). I giggled.
- Niwot (nye-watt) - According to The Denver Post, the Arapaho word for “left hand” is actually Nowooth. We really messed this one up.
- Olathe (Oh-LAY-tha) - This is where we get our sweet corn. It’s damn good.
- Ouray (YOU-ray) - Not OOOOO-ray.
- Paonia (Pay-OWN-yuh) - Shout out to KVNF.
- Saguache (suh-WATCH) - Folks usually give it a try or three before we jump in to save you. It’s more fun that way.
- Salida (Suh-LIE-duh) -
- San Luis (San LOO-ees) - Same thing applies to the valley name too.