Colorado State Parks
Colorado Department of Education
- In 1976, Colorado became the only state in history to turn down the Olympics.
- One third of Colorado is owned by the United States federal government.
- “America the Beautiful” was written by Katherine Lee Bates after she was inspired by the view from Pikes Peak.
- The cheeseburger was invented in Denver by Louis Ballast.
- The world’s first rodeo was held in Deer Trail in 1869.
- The world’s largest rodeo, the Western Stock show, is held annually in Denver.
- Colorado has the highest mean altitude of all the states.
- Per capita, Colorado has more microbreweries that any other state.
- The four corners area, where Colorado borders Arizona, New Mexico and Utah, is the only place in America where the corners of four states meet.
- The geographic center of Colorado is 30 miles northwest of Pikes Peak.
- Colorado License Plates, past & present
- M. Scott Carpenter, astronaut, Boulder
- Clive Custer, Author
- Judy Collins, Musician
- Jack Dempsey, boxer, Manassa
- John Denver, Musician
- Ralph Edwards, Entertainer
- Douglas Fairbanks, Silent Screen Actor
- Allen Ginsberg, Beat Poet
- Horace Greeley, Editor
- Ted Mack, TV Host